The journey of entrepreneurship is often described as a rollercoaster ride. It’s Friday morning – I’m sitting at my desk with a giant cuppa, it’s raining outside and it feels kinda cosy to be snuggled up in my office. I’ve seen lots of posts online about goal setting and 2023 and I’ve been reflecting on the last year, in fact on the last 23 years as it’s my business birthday on Sunday.
I will be sharing my lessons learned in business with you on New Years Day (my actual business birthday), but in the meantime thought it would be fun to share some of the experiences I have had along with a few things that you maybe don’t know about me!
So here goes:
1. On my first day of self employed life in 2000 I rocked up to the office in a suit! 😂 it took me a while to adapt to self employed life and accept that it was ok to be me (without the corporate attire) and whilst I may not normally wear pj’s at my desk I am more of a jeans, hoodie and trainer kinda girl.
2. I used to own a home interiors business with showrooms, lots of staff and massive warehouses to manage! 😲
3. My favourite colour is pink! I even used to have pink hair… and I do have a pink bed! 💖
4. I was one of the first ‘power sellers’ on eBay and manage to convert 80% of my online visitors over to my website! 📈
5. In my previous business I used to import rattan garden furniture from China and was one of the biggest retailers of it online. 🌳
6. In 2010 I turned over nearly a million pounds in my online retail business (never quite made the other £7k i needed and ended the year on £963,000 !!!) 💰
7. I am a single Mum to my two gorgeous girls, Molly who is 18 and Ruby is 14 we are known as the Gilmour girls and have a dog and three crazy cats! 💖💖🐶😻😻😻
8. Shortly after my huge success in business came the huge fall I lost it all and my lowest point was bailiffs arriving at my door to take my car and i couldn’t get my kids to school the next day! (I used to say this was a story best told over a bottle of wine but i have now also shared it in my book) 😢
9. In 2011 I set up a social media training and management company and razzed around the country in my little mini covered in social logos! 😀
10. I used to be such a workaholic that I only allowed myself 3 days maternity leave with my two girls and used to work 7 days a week (thankfully this is NOT the case these days) – I’m a big believer in boundaries. 👶
11. I am a trained chef and still love getting creative in the kitchen! 👩🍳
12. Just 7 years ago I had zero confidence and wouldn’t even record videos!…. I was absolutely petrified at the thought of it… I faced my fear and now I love connecting live and being visible in my business (so if you have the fear of being visible – know you can totally do this) 📹
13. I tragically lost my brother to suicide 6 years ago, this had a massive impact on me and how I view life. It was also the reason why I talk so openly about mental health and work to raise awareness and funds to support others.
14. I am a fully qualified suicide intervention first aider and youth mental health first aider👩⚕️
15. I used to be pretty quiet and would be the one shying away in the corner at a network meeting, but now I love connecting with other and now love public speaking, meeting people and sharing new experiences both on and offline. 👭
16. I am super passionate about mental health, creating happiness and generally being kind! I’m looking forward to working on lots more awareness and charity work in 2023. 💜
17. Remember life isn’t all black and white, the rollercoaster can take us through all spectrums of the rainbow. 🦓🌈
18. I work from home on my own but also have a member of staff and a remote team that support me in life and business including my lovely accountant and book keeper, business coach, branding expert, web developer, virtual assistant support, holistic and spiritual guides and healers and course my amazing girls! 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀
20. My lovely friend and author Vicki Nicolson… calls me tenacious. I believe resilience is the key to riding the rollercoaster, learning from the curve balls that are thrown your way and understanding that often what is happening is often happening for you and not to you! My good friend Sharon Curran always reminds me to look for the blessing in the lesson – she calls them Blessons! 👊🙏
21. This year I finally published my book after talking about doing it for about 5 years! I’m not a natural writer so it was quite a challenge for me but I am very happy I did. You can take a peak here: LOVE YOU LOVE YOUR LIFE
22. I work on my own self development every single day. I prioritise my own self care, this includes journalling, meditation, breath-work, crystal healing and cold water therapy. I am also a huge lover of affirmation – you can get your own free message here: YOUR WILDLIFE MESSAGE
23. Together is my happy place. I have been lucky enough to always be able to connect with my friends, family and support team both on and offline and the support I have had from you all when launching my new Personally Positive and Naomi Victoria Loves product ranges this year really does mean the world to me.
So as I’m reflecting and celebrating 23 glorious years business I am always full of anticipation, big dreams, I always set a word for the year and this year my word is growth.
I would love to know more about you, please share with me below.. something about you and your business?
And just before I sign off have a lovely New Year, whatever you are up to and here’s to lots of health, happiness and success in 2023!
Sending big hugs and lots of love.
P.S Did you know I also offer a product business consultancy and support service? If you have an idea and are thinking about launching your products in 2023 or you already have products that could do with a revamp or support, I have opened up just 3 spaces to work with me in the new year.
You can find out more here: